Monday, August 28, 2006

Milarepa

Having meditated on love and compassion,
I forgot the difference between myself and others.
Having mediated upon my lama, I forgot those who are influential and powerful
Having meditated on the yidam, I forgot the coarse world of the senses.
Having meditated on the instruction of the secret tradition, I forgot the books of dialectic. Having tasted the joys of solitude, I forgot the need to please my relatives and friends.
Having assimilated the teaching in the stream of my consciousness, I forgot to engage in doctrinal polemics.
Having lived in humility in body and mind, I forgot the disdain and arrogance of the great. Having made a monastery within my body, I forgot the monastery outside.
Having embraced the spirit rather than the letter, I forgot how to play with words. --Jetsun Milarepa

No comments: